About Me

My photo
I am a vintage loving, inspired to be crafty, addicted reader, avid movie watcher, amateur reviewer, culture adoring, independent domesticator,Strives to be healthy, mom to 2 wonderful fur-balls, and finally a passionate-loving friend, sister, daughter and girlfriend

Monday, March 21, 2011

Look Mom! No Hands!

Yay! Blogger now allows subscribers to get automatic updates for my blog! Just enter your email in the box to the right that says " follow by email"

How about those gas prices?
They are getting dangerously high!!

So high that I started contemplating taking the Jo ( metro bus)  to work. But then discovered that the bus times are dubiously infrequent, and a monthly pass is 60 bucks. lame.

Why can't Kansas City have a reliable public transportation system in place?

I have no problem with public transportation. When I go to NY to visit my family I love riding the train. LOVE IT.

If KC had a train system I would take full advantage.  I am willing to pay more taxes to make this come true. We are by no means a small city. We should have something implemented.

The advantages are astronomical.

Most Kansas Citians commute from KS to MO, or vice versa, everyday for work. Clogging up our Ozone with hazardous exhaust fumes while sitting in traffic.

Young people could go out on the town and have a reliable and safe ride home. 

I would go up North more often. I would even go to Blue Springs to visit my friend more often. 

If only we had a train system.

but then I realize. This is middle America. We are completely dependent on our cars.

It's mind boggling.
How did we get this bad?
We literally jump in our cars to drive down the road for a quick snack, without even considering the alternatives.

I am guilty of this.

No wonder foreigners call us lazy. 

I envy Europeans. Hop on the train and in no time you are in a different country.

So with no drastic change in the foreseeable future, and not until everyone else is willing to make a change, I decided to make my own changes.


And thank goodness I have a partner in life who feels the same as me.

So we got bikes. a small gesture to a large problem, but it's a start.

Danny has been researching different road bikes for close to a month. I thought it was so silly to invest so much time in looking at bikes, measuring bikes, reading reviews on bikes, and then spending money on bikes. After much discussion, and deliberation, he found a steal of a deal on craigslist and it was a beautiful bike.
and I was envious.
So two weeks of envying Danny's cool new bike and... he got me one.
I'm spoiled loved.
Once again I cannot justify spending $100's on a bike..
Thus I turn to Craigslist.

I always get awesome deals on there. Especially from those selling in Leawood, they practically give their stuff away!

So I started toying with the idea of riding a bike to work. It is only 10.2 miles away, and I could get a killer work out with all of the rough and tumbly hills in my path.

One problem.

I am a noob.

And I need to build my stamina. Otherwise I will be exhausted and gloomy at work all day. Then I will be forced to ride back home with no energy.

So I am making a goal.
I will be riding my bike to work by June. 

In the meantime, Danny and I have been riding around the neighborhood. Then we rode two miles to the grocery store to pick up a few items
Our cool bikes at the store.

So this is us trying to be more green I suppose. 

I want to find a basket so I can take this little booger with me 

If Kansas City had a solid Public Transportation system, would you give up your car dependancy and hop on the train?




Currently Reading: Predators of Darkness
By: Leonard D Hilley II


Look for my review soon!




2 comments:

  1. I think you'd surprise yourself with how much stamina you already have especially if you're pretty active (which you seem to be... I feel like I see lots of "headed to the gym" things on facebook). Best of luck on your new bike endeavors.

    Biking as a mode of transportation is not something I've taken up. I don't know why, just haven't. I walk everywhere (work, school, gym) though. But if it's farther than a mile or two I drive. However, I can go a week or so without driving. I would love public transportation, although in a town so small it's pointless. I think they're implementing their first bus system here in a year or two. If I lived in KC and they had a subway/train I would totally go out with a car. I had to live without a car (the fact that this is notable is sad) for a couple of months last year. I was 100% fine.

    Cool post, I enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete