That's what the boyfriend is.
I, on the other hand, am not.
Hence my pale skin that freckles far too easily, and my eyes that change colors between blue and green.
I have always had a large group of asian friends. Yes, I was that girl in high school. But I never fully embraced their culture.Ok maybe i did embrace their culture, but not their food, until I met Danny.
And let me tell you
Vietnamese food is the bomb dot com!
Vietnamese food is the bomb dot com!
It also doesn't hurt that his mom is an amazing cook.
But, we can't go to his mom's house and eat every time we craved something Vietnamese.
So this would leave us with driving all the way to Missouri for a decent bowl of Pho, or having my white-self try and cook something up in the kitchen (which I am practicing people!)
Which brings me to Johnson County's Vietnamese food solution:
Hello Babo Teriyaki
We finally found an asian restaurant in Johnson County that has decent Pho.
Babo Teriyaki is clean and modern, and the customer service was phenomenal. They offer both Chinese and Vietnamese dishes, and from scoping out the patrons around us... all of the food looks delicious.
Their Vietnamese menu, however, is limited.
and by limited I mean they only have Spring Rolls, Bun Thit Nuong, and Pho.
and lucky for them, those are my favorite dishes to eat at a Vietnamese restaurant.
Danny had the Pho.
Pho is basically rice noodles in a beef broth and various spices like star anise, ginger, roasted onion, coriander seed,and fennel seed,
The broth was flavorful and needed little added to it. His only complaint was he wished there was more veggies. Of course it wasn't as good as his mom's, but it will satisfy any quick cravings we might have.
I had the Bun Thit Nuong.
Which is basically vermicelli noodles, pork/or chicken with sour veggies, bean sprouts with a fish sauce/lime combo sauce. I am not a big fan of fish sauce. It is too high in sodium and leaves an awful after taste, and Babo Teriyaki had my fix! They offer a vinaigrette sauce as an alternative, and with that, they won me over.
PLUS when you are finished they bring out a cutely cut orange. I am easy to please.
Ok now onto the part where Danny cooks me something Vietnamese.
Hello Canh Chua
Can you tell I love soups?
Canh Chua, also known as Sour Soup, is one of my faves. and thank my lucky stars, Danny knows how to cook it.
I love it when it is loaded with Tomatoes, Bean Sprouts, Bac Ha, Pineapple and Bok Choy.
MmmMMmMMm
It is quickly becoming a staple in our household.
The weather was gorgeous this weekend.
We spoiled Kid-D with something he can climb on, that's not the kitchen cabinets.
And these two got along.... for a little while at least
Sorry for my lack of blogging this week. I have been so busy at work! I promise to catch up soon =)
Have a happy week everyone!







No comments:
Post a Comment