About Me

My photo
I am a vintage loving, inspired to be crafty, addicted reader, avid movie watcher, amateur reviewer, culture adoring, independent domesticator,Strives to be healthy, mom to 2 wonderful fur-balls, and finally a passionate-loving friend, sister, daughter and girlfriend

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Frugal and Fabulous: A Clothing Swap Party

Random Elishia Fact: I RARELY buy clothing at full price.

So when an opportunity arises to get FREE new clothes, I'm all for it!!


My fabulous friend, Lynda, hosted a clothing exchange party this past
weekend and it was a complete success.


The concept is simple, you take a look at your closet, evaluate what clothing pieces you no longer wear, bag them up and meet up with your girlfriends ( and cross your fingers that the cute top you saw your friend wearing 6 months ago is at the party). The results are outstanding since you essentially leave with brand new pieces for your wardrobe.... all for free!

Of course you have to throw food into the mix, and maybe drinks, this is a social event after all!



Blog recipe!
Growing up in the Hazelton household, lasagna was THE most requested dish. We love our Italian food, so this isn't so surprising. But as I grew older I would start helping my mom make the delicious dish, then as time progressed we would start having a friendly competition to see who made the better lasagna, which my dad was the judge ( I won too!). Now that I am out in the world on my own.. and striving to live a healthier life style... I discovered how UNHEALTHY my family lasagna was! Between the gluttonous ricotta cheese, and the white noodles and the copious amounts of various cheeses... i set out to find a healthier, but just as tasty alternative... which bring me to, "Zucchini Lasagna"! The concept is simple you sub out the noodles for Zucchini, and use cottage cheese.
So with no further delay.. the recipe


2 1/2 cups zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick (about 3 medium)
1/2 lb lean ground turkey meat (I use 1 lb.)
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 jar of tomato sauce ( I use sugar free and season it with spices)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 cup water
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 egg
3/4 cup low fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (I use 8 oz. divided)
1 tbs of flour
4 no boil noodles


Directions

1.Brush Zucchini with olive oil and broil in oven until tender, and set aside. Fry meat and onions until meat is brown and onions are tender; drain fat. Add tomato sauce and spices, let boil.
2. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered 10 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups.
3. In small bowl slightly beat egg.
4. Add cottage cheese, half of shredded cheese and flour.
5. In a baking pan arrange half of the meat mixture. I use one layer of no boil noddles so the the bottom of my lasagna is no soggy, then do a layer of cheese, then layer of meat sauce, zucchini, then cheese finished with combination until you are out of ingredients!
6. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.
7. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer.
8. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. And you're done! Enjoy =)
Currently Reading
Iron Crowned by Richelle Meade

Quick rundown of the book:

Shaman-for-hire Eugenie Markham is the best at banishing entities trespassing in the mortal realm. But as the Thorn Land’s queen, she’s fast running out of ways to end the brutal war devastating her kingdom. Her only hope: the Iron Crown, a legendary object even the most powerful gentry fear…

Who Eugenie can trust is the hardest part. Fairy king Dorian has his own agenda for aiding her search. And Kiyo, her shape-shifter ex-boyfriend, has every reason to betray her along the way. To control the Crown’s ever-consuming powers, Eugenie will have to confront an unimaginable temptation,one that will put her soul and the fate of two worlds in mortal peril…




Going to watch Rango tomorrow. Look for my review on Friday! Have a great week!




P.S. Who watched the Oscars last night? I thought they had a couple of good "laugh out loud moments" but i grew tiresome of Anne Hatheway... she totally became a "Whoo" girl by the end!! it was so frustrating. And the questions of the night.. where in the world was James Franco!?

1 comment:

  1. I love lasagna.
    I thought the same about Hatheway, and Idk where Franco was!
    I'm wondering how long it took you to write this, if I know you (which I do) I bet you read over it multiple times.
    BTW you used to only buy clothing at full price.!

    ReplyDelete